Open Letter: Apology from U.S. to the World for Electing TrumpPosted by T.Collins Logan on
Hi Folks. We’re sorry about Trump - for a number of reasons.
On the one hand, we’re sorry that nearly half the U.S. electorate:
• Is unable to think critically or separate fact from falsehood.
• Could not see Mr. Trump for the erratic, narcissistic, blowhard demagogue that he is.
• Is swayed by conspiracy theories, irrational fear-mongering, neoliberal propaganda, yellow journalism and false advertising.
• Confuses gambling of inherited wealth with business acumen.
• Has the mistaken impression that voting once every four years is the only political obligation necessary to support civil society.
• Allowed entertainment value to override wisdom and common sense.
• Actually believed that Trump would follow through on his campaign pledges.
You might wonder why so many people fell under the spell of this mass-hysteria. Here are some likely contributing conditions:
• Poor diets and insufficient exercise, which negatively impact brain development and function.
• Tribal conformance and groupthink brought on by insular and homogenous communities.
• Frustration, anger and mental illness, brought about in part by the multigenerational stresses of waning social status and economic immobility.
• The immaturity and entitlement induced by commercialistic habits, compulsions and dependencies.
• Economic insecurity resulting from globalization and the boom/bust cycles of growth-dependent capitalism, along with the ever-enlarging wealth inequality created by monopolization, cronyism and clientism.
• Rapid cultural and technological change, which were also accelerated by growth-dependent capitalism.
• Below-average analytical and emotional intelligence, which interfere with the capacity to comprehend or navigate complexity.
• Willful ignorance as a lazy, amoral choice.
We are sorry about these conditions, too, because they are a consequence of our ongoing committment as Americans to invest in conspicuous consumption, atomistic individualism and greedy materialism as our guiding lights, while at the same time decimating our public education system, news media integrity, and cultural truth metrics. We have also routinely abdicated our political obligations to corporations and individuals with huge concentrations of wealth, allowing them make more and more of our decisions for us – and take over more and more of our government and civic institutions – and we’re sorry for that, too.
On the other hand, those who appreciate complexity, want to champion progressive values, and believe in a more participatory, informed and egalitarian future are also sorry. Because we didn’t make our case to the American people, or effectively counter the ridiculous spectacle of Donald Trump…or in many cases even go out and vote. Shame on us.
So for all of this…and for the inevitable suffering of so many millions of people that will result from a morally and mentally crippled Trump administration…we are also truly and deeply contrite. In our confusion and pain, we the people of the United States of America have allowed an impulsive, feckless idiot to become our leader. Intuitively, most of us knew this was a bad idea, and that “making America great again” was really just a last-ditch attempt for poor and middle-class white people to feel like their penises mattered (or feel like their father's, husband's or son's penises mattered, as the case may be). But, like tantruming children, too few wanted to face the reality of that shrinking decline…or have much compassion for it...so a lot of folks lashed out.
Again, so sorry.
TrackbacksTrackback specific URI for this entry
This link is not meant to be clicked. It contains the trackback URI for this entry. You can use this URI to send ping- & trackbacks from your own blog to this entry. To copy the link, right click and select "Copy Shortcut" in Internet Explorer or "Copy Link Location" in Mozilla.
The author does not allow comments to this entry
CommentsDisplay comments as Linear | Threaded