Thanks for the A2A and clarification [that this is for your 7th grade class] Dean.
For that age group I would probably structure the most important societal rules and expectations this way, in the format of MostImportant/WhenBreakable:
1. Be Honest /except when it puts self or other in disproportionate danger or creates excessive harm.
2. Have Integrity (aligning actions with expressed intentions and exercising discipline to follow through)/except when the probable outcome clearly contradicts your desired outcome.
3. Be Kind & Do No Harm (in intentions, words and actions)/except when it is necessary to defend your liberty and personal sovereignty - or someone else’s .
4. Practice Generosity & Charity /except when objects of your compassionate effort become exploitative or abusive.
5. Take Responsibility (for own well-being, consequences of own choices, harm perpetrated, lies told, own failures of integrity, etc.)/except when the situation is truly out of your control.
6. Engage in Civic Participation (voting, self-educating about issues, attending community mtgs, signing petitions, lobbying for causes, community organizing, various forms of activism, speaking truth to power, civil disobedience, etc.)/except when it substantially interferes with items 1–5.
7. Obey The Rule of Law /except when it actively contradicts or excessively compromises items 1–6.
My 2 cents.
TrackbacksTrackback specific URI for this entry
This link is not meant to be clicked. It contains the trackback URI for this entry. You can use this URI to send ping- & trackbacks from your own blog to this entry. To copy the link, right click and select "Copy Shortcut" in Internet Explorer or "Copy Link Location" in Mozilla.
The author does not allow comments to this entry