What many of the other posts here are hinting at in terms of holistic self-care - what they seem to intuit to be contributive to “optimal mental health” - has actually been systematized in Integral Lifework’s thirteen dimensions of nurturing. Check out that site and take the free Nourishment Assessment to get a taste.
I would add some other factors that are addressed in those thirteen dimensions, but specifically impact mental health:
- Reduce stress - environmental, emotional, relational, work, etc.
- Balance nutrition and reasonable BMI.
- Neuroplasticity exercises.
- Avoid cognitive dissonance (i.e. beliefs that are in contradiction with reality).
- Work through barriers to well-being in each dimension (i.e. shadow work, talk therapy, family of origin issues, CBT for negative self-talk, etc.)
- Avoid addictions of all kinds (drugs, relationships, work, alcohol, etc.)
- Healthy and regular social interactions.
- Moral development (transcend your own ego).
- Let go (don’t force stuff to happen and try to go with the flow).
- Don’t participate in conspicuous consumption.
My 2 cents.
(From Quora question: https://www.quora.com/How-does-one-maintain-optimal-mental-health)
TrackbacksTrackback specific URI for this entry
This link is not meant to be clicked. It contains the trackback URI for this entry. You can use this URI to send ping- & trackbacks from your own blog to this entry. To copy the link, right click and select "Copy Shortcut" in Internet Explorer or "Copy Link Location" in Mozilla.
The author does not allow comments to this entry